EE Chapter 93 Depression Q&A (1 OF 40) Sample Questions
1. A patient, who looks somewhat depressed, approaches the prescription counter. She begins: “Boy.. I cannot believe what is happening to me! I went to the doctor because I was feeling kind of low. She gave me a prescription of Zopiclone. It certainly helps me sleep but still I feel depressed. Did you ever wonder, if life was worth the hassle?”
How would you respond to this person?
- A. Patient is mentally ill.
- B. Patient is a certain stereo type.
- C. Patient needs multiple contacts to develop trusting healthcare.
- D. Educate patient about depression disorders.
- E. Recommend self-care lifestyle and modification.
1. Read the question. You are asked for an action to help a patient appropriate at the time being.
2. In answering this type of question, understand the context of the patient’s dialogue. Here, patient is aware of her condition but how she approached you can tell that your opinion is welcome. This is an opportunity to know more about the patient’s coping strategies in addition to her medication. At this point, the best thing you can help the patient with is to provide her self-care measures.
3. So, the correct action is E.