EE Chapter 82 Gynaecologic and Genitourinary Disorders Q&A (1 OF 40) Sample Questions
1. A 56-years old woman had breast cancer from 8 years ago and she had chemotherapy, now she has menopause, what does she have to take to treat hot flushes?
- A. Estrogen + Progesterone Patch
- B. Estrogen + Progesterone Pills
- C. Venlafaxine (SNRI Antidepressant)
- D. Progesterone only
1. Read the question. You are asked for an appropriate medication according to the patient’s history and current needs.
2. Look for cues and keywords or key phrases. There are multiple cues in this case: breast cancer from 8 years ago. Key phrase, treat hot flushes. In answering this type of question, be guided by the contraindications of HT in post-menopausal symptoms. Considering the patient’s history of breast cancer, HT will not best suit for the patient. Choose from the given choices a non-hormonal option with an indication for postmenopausal symptom management.
3. Thus, the correct answer is C.