EE Chapter 76 Insomnia Q&A (1 OF 17) Sample Questions
1. What benzodiazepines are preferred to treat a type of insomnia is associated with difficulty in falling in sleep?
- A. Short acting
- B. Intermediate acting
- C. Long acting
- D. Intermediate and long acting
- E. Short and long acting
Tips: Short-acting BDZs are used to induce sleep while Intermediate and Long acting are used to maintain sleep.
1. Read the question. You are asked of a benzodiazepine that works fast.
2. Look for cues and keywords or key phrases. Cue here is difficulty falling asleep. Key words, benzodiazepine preferred. In answering this type of question, consider that onset of action of benzodiazepines to the need of the patient. As stated, the patient just finds it hard to doze. It is not severe in sense. In terms of onset, the short acting benzodiazepine is the fastest and it is the only type indicated for initiating sleep.
3. Thus, the correct answer is A.