EE Chapter 74 Asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Q&A (1 OF 71) Sample Questions
1. Rx: Beclomethasone (Vanceril) inhaler: dispense # 1
Sig: ii puffs inhaled bid. In filling the prescription, the technician should:
- A. Inform the patient that this is a corticosteroid that has many serious side effects.
- B. Include the following specific directions on the label: “Inhale 2 puffs into each nostril 3x a day”.
- C. Provide the patient the package insert included with the inhaler.
- D. Tell the patient to use this inhaler only when he really needs it.
1. Read the question. You are asked of the role of a pharmacy technician in dispensing an ICS for a patient.
2. Look for cues and keywords or key phrases. Cue here is technician should. Key words, Beclomethasone inhaler. In answering this type of question, weigh the scope of technician against the type of activity done. From all the given options, only activities are within the scope of a technician. B however is wrong because the inhaler is used twice a day instead of three times.
3. Thus, the correct answer is C. the package insert should be included with the mediation inhaler so patient can quickly refer to it if/when in doubt of using it because the proper technique in respiratory conditions is very important to ensure adequate dosing of the medication.