EE Chapter 66 Drug Interactions Q&A (1 OF 12) Sample Questions
1. A patient is using calcium supplements 500 mg tid. She now gets the prescription of Ciprofloxacin 500 mg bid for 3 days. What is the appropriate method of administration?
- A. Take Ca supplements and Ciprofloxacin together in the morning and evening.
- B. Take Ca supplements 2 hours before or 4 hours after of Ciprofloxacin.
- C. Stop taking Ca supplements for 3 days and continue Ciprofloxacin therapy.
- D. Stop taking Ciprofloxacin and continue Ca supplement daily.
- E. Call the doctor, change to levofloxacin.
Tips: Ciprofloxacin have to separate from calcium 2 hours and 6 hours after.
1. Read the question. You are asked to appropriate dosing of the medications patient is taking.
2. Look for cues and keywords or key phrases. Cue here is appropriate administration. Key words, Calcium supplement 500 mg TID and Ciprofloxacin 500 mg bid for 3 days. In answering this type of question, your knowledge of interacting drugs will help you. The dosing regimen of both drugs coincide with each other that it will be inconvenient for the patient to make a great effort taking them separately. So, since the antibiotic therapy is only for 3 days, it will be best to temporarily discontinue the Calcium.
3. Thus, answer is C.