EE Chapter 63 Compounding and Storage Conditions Q&A (1 OF 14) Sample Questions
1. What can be used as a large volume IV fluid for a patient having hypernatremia, and hyperglycemia?
- A. Normal saline solution
- B. Sterile Water for injection
- C. 5% dextrose solutions
- D. Ringer solution
1. Read the question. You are asked to give an appropriate IV fluid for a patient having specific electrolyte imbalances.
2. Look for cues and keywords or key phrases. Cue here is hypernatremia and hyperglycemia. Key phrases use as large volume IV. To pick the appropriate IV, associate the contents of the parenterals to the patient’s current condition. Apparently, 3 of the choices contain salts of varying amounts and glucose in them so these are not good options for the patient.
3. Therefore, the correct answer is B because Sterile water does not contain anything in it unlike the other 3.