EE Chapter 61 Collaboration and Teamwork Q&A (1 OF 19) Sample Questions
1. Nurse calls explaining that a Fentanyl patch fell off from one of her patients after only 24 hours. Rx instructs: App 1 patch q72h with preset quantity and fill intervals. Nurse asks for an early part-fill to be able to continue the treatment as intended. You should:
- A. Fill the prescription at your discretion.
- B. Refuse to fill as your loyalty is to the law.
- C. Request early refill authorization from the physician.
- D. Refer the patient to the emergency room.
- E. Tell the patient to come in and see the doctor.
1. Read the question. You are asked to assume a collaborative action for the benefit of the patient.
2. Look for cues and keywords or key phrases. There are multiple cues in this question: fell off after 24 hours, Rx instruction, Cue here is EXCEPT. Key phrase, Fentanyl patch. In answering this type of question, first be reminded that Fentanyl is a narcotic. CDSA prohibits dispensing of the drug without prescription but you have a patient whose health might be endangered if the medication is discontinued. The nurse acts on beneficence so your job as a pharmacist is to carry it over which you can do so by contacting the physician. This way, the law is not compromised and patient’s need is met.
3. Thus, the correct answer is C.