EE Chapter 57 Bioethics and Professional Ethics Q&A (1 OF 52) Sample Questions
1. A father of a teenage girl approaches your pharmacy counter. He asks if her 16-year-old daughter is using oral contraceptives. What is the ethical dilemma of the pharmacist?
- A. Confidentiality and veracity
- B. Confidentiality and autonomy
- C. Confidentiality and beneficence
- D. Confidentiality and fidelity
- E. Confidentiality and justice
1. Read the question. You are asked to identify the ethical principles that the pharmacist needs to weigh carefully before taking any action.
2. Look for cues and keywords or key phrases. There are multiple cues here: father, teenage girl. Keywords, ethical dilemma. To answer this question, understand that disclosure of a patient’s information is only within the circle of care. So, confidentially is an issue here if pharmacist admits of it. To identify the other issue, consider that the patient is already on her legal age of medical rights but her father comes to the pharmacy out of concern. Since patient is not with her parent, you cannot determine if she ‘swilling to share the information or not. So, autonomy is compromised.
3. Thus, the correct answer is B.