EE Chapter 56 Professional Pharmacy Communication Skills Q&A (1 OF 28) Sample Questions
1. A patient brings a prescription of Tylenol # 3, and prescribed by a physician assistant (PA). The doctor’s office is closed. Patient insists pharmacist to dispense because he has severe pain. What is appropriate?
- A. Do not dispense and offer empathy.
- B. Do not dispense, offer empathy and recommend Tylenol#1 or OTC pain medications.
- C. Recommend some self-care measure to manage pain.
- D. None of the above.
1. Read the question. You are asked to provide help to the patient without compromising federal laws.
2. Look for cues and keywords or key phrases. There are multiple cues in this scenario: severe pain, Tylenol #3. Key phrase, prescribed by assistant physician. As you have learned, Tylenol #3 requires prescription by an authorized prescriber. A prescription is provided by the patient however, unauthorized. (Refer to your Misbah’s EE review book of authorized narcotic prescribers). B is the best choice because patient badly needs relief and it is the strongest analgesic you can dispense given the circumstances.
3. Thus the correct answer is, B.