EE Chapter 55 Promoting Medication Adherence Q&A (1 OF 17) Sample Questions
1. A taxi driver came to you with a prescription of sumatriptan for his migraine and you know that it may cause dizziness. What is the most appropriate action to be done?
- A. Call the physician to explain to him your fears from side effect of the medication
- B. Refuse to dispense the prescription
- C. Dispense the medication and give the patient a verbal counsel about the side effect of the medication
- D. Dispense the medication and give the patient a printed copy of the side effect of the medication
1. Read the question. You are asked to identify the best that you can do for the patient.
2. Look for cues and keywords or key phrases. Cue here may cause dizziness. Keywords, taxi driver. To correctly point the best counseling from the given choices, realize that the prescribing physician has already outweighed the benefit versus the risk for this patient. He is a taxi driver whose work can be affected by taking the medication. Between verbal and written counseling of the adverse effects, in this case, verbal is better to get the point straight as he is less likely to read a written counseling. You may however provide him a printed copy in addition to the verbal advice.
3. Thus the correct answer is, C.