EE Chapter 33 Biopharmaceutics Q&A (1 OF 51) Sample Questions
1. If the total body clearance of a drug is 200 ml/min in normal healthy adult and renal clearance is 10 ml/min then, what is correct about the patient?
- A. Drug is deposited in adipose tissue.
- B. Drug is increased in liver and has recycling.
- C. Drug metabolism is increased.
- D. Greater accumulation
- E. Drug has no plasma protein binding.
1. Read the question and analyze the information provided.
2. First, take note of the values in the question. This question can be answered by the help of drug clearance principle. As you have learned, drug clearance is influenced by both metabolism and excretion. From this concept, you can easily eliminate choices without relevance to these phases. Between options C and D, D is the obvious answer because 10 ml is only 5% of the total clearance of the drug which suggests that metabolism is reduced therefore more of the drug remains in the circulation.
3. Thus, the correct answer is D.