EE Chapter 11 Blood and Anemia Q&A (1 OF 54) Sample Questions
1. Choose the statement that ranks diagnostic test in order of specificity of iron deficiency anemia. The least to most?
- A. Ferritin, MCV, hemoglobin count
- B. Hemoglobin count, ferritin and MCV
- C. Hemoglobin count, MCV and serum ferritin
- D. MCV, hemoglobin count and serum ferritin
Tips: Anemia is most commonly defined as reduction in hemoglobin concentration <135 g/L in men and Hgb <120 g/L in women. Serum ferritin <30 ng/mL.
1. Read the question carefully. Make sense of what is being asked.
2. In questions asking for a set or group of answers, be cautious in your selection by being guided by your cues, as these provide insight on how the set should be arranged. In this case, LEAST to MOST. In some questions, it could ask for the reverse (most to least). Also, to improve your answering ability, it helps to know either the MOST specific or most sensitive test in the confirmation of a diagnosis as there are several tests that can be done but not all are equally specific or sensitive. Finally, you can easily to eliminate other options that do NOT NAME/MEET your first criterion of the set.
3. Thus, D is the answer and all other options are eliminated because they do not begin with MCV.