Chapter 15 Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Q&A (1 of 30) Sample Questions
1. JRD comes to your pharmacy with concern of her 10-year-old daughter is using methylphenidate SR 20 mg daily for the past 4 months. JRD says that her daughter lost 10% of her weight. What is the appropriate action?
- A. Tell her that this is the drug’s side effect and continue taking drug.
- B. Drug holidays may be useful.
- C. Recommend her appetite stimulants like Cyproheptadine.
- D. Tell her to stop using methylphenidate.
Tips: Drug holidays are useful when side effects associated with stimulants such as weight loss >10% or growth suppression. Non-pharmacologic action for the management of weight loss associated with stimulants can be managed by “taking child for shopping”.