Chapter 14 Dementia Q&A (1 of 42) Sample Questions
1. JM is a 70 year old man who was diagnosed with mild Alzheimer’s disease with Mini Mental Status Exam (MMSE) score of 19. The MMSE is used in practice to diagnose and monitor patient disease course. The MMSE 11-item test with maximum score of 30 is used to quantify a patient’s:
- A. Only physical functions but no cognitive decline.
- B. Cognitive decline that includes only calculation, attention and recall
- C. Cognitive decline that includes only attention and language
- D. Cognitive decline that includes orientation, attention, calculation, recall and language.
Tips: MMSE quantifies Cognitive decline Orientation, attention, calculation, recall and language. Mild cognitive decline MMSE score of >18; Moderate cognitive decline score 10 to 18 and severe cognitive decline as a score of <10.